Kawerau X Incubate will run again for the third time. It is a 12-week programme providing business coaching in both group and one-on-one sessions for established organisations or fledgling businesses/ social enterprises wanting to launch a new product or service. The programme has had five intakes previously, two in Kawerau and three in Rotorua, with more than 40 graduates.
Executive Director of KEA Inc. Helen Stewart said KEA is excited to offer Kawerau enterprises a third round of the programme, subject to sufficient uptake of places.
“For Kawerau to thrive we need to support initiatives that will boost Kawerau’s economy. It’s crucial that we help and support people who take the risk and start a business or social enterprise.”
“The Incubate programme offers a mix of coaching and training with the focus on participants setting goals, implementing actions and increasing success through business planning. It teaches participants the importance of spending time working on the business and, after 12 weeks they will walk away with a business plan to help them succeed” she said.
“We have already had more than 20 participants through the programme in Kawerau and feedback has been extremely positive.”
“The training they receive is invaluable, but participants get the bonus of developing business networks. The groups support each other, learn from each other and help each other.”
Incubate participants have ranged from fledgling start-ups to existing businesses and charities who wanted to take their organisation to the next level.
One such participant Debbie Henton was fed up with how long it was taking to make progress with her business initiative. She saw the Incubate programme advertised and put her name forward.
“I found Incubate helped me with the accountability factor of just making time to focus on growing and improving the business. It made all the difference,”
“It helped me make progress thanks to everyone’s encouragement to just do it, in particular the programme director Darren McGarvie. He kept us accountable to make progress and challenged us to challenge ourselves,”
“I would highly recommend the Incubate programme and thank KEA and Kawerau X for providing this valuable programme to Kawerau organisations,” Ms Henton said.
The programme was designed by Rotorua X, a charitable trust set up to inspire, grow and launch business and social enterprises in Rotorua. It is supported by other organisations like BDO, Employers and Manufacturers Association and Firestation.
Rotorua X chairman and Incubate programme director Darren McGarvie said the programme focussed on helping start-ups and businesses to be successful and learn the fundamentals of business.
“Small business is the backbone of the New Zealand economy. For regional towns like Kawerau to experience economic growth it is so important that young businesses and social enterprises have access to support and training. At the end of the 12 weeks participants will have completed a basic business plan to help them succeed,” he said.
“It is fantastic that the Kawerau Enterprise Agency Inc. funds programmes like this that will make a real difference to the local business community,” he said.
Kawerau X Incubate will commence late September 2015. Local businesses/organisations are invited to apply for programme online at www.svy.mk/1J16f9C
Kawerau X Incubate includes:
- Seven group sessions covering topics such as Marketing Essentials, Sales Strategies, Employment Law, Online Marketing, Business Essentials, Tax & Xero and Pitching & Pricing. (I think we need to offer them a Business Plan format so they can start working on that during the programme. Something simple)
- Two one-on-one coaching sessions Is this before, during or after?).
- Organisation must be generating income from sales and have some capital
- Must own a mobile phone, laptop/PC with access to the internet
- Previous business ownership or related commercial experience is necessary
- Passion, energy and a desire to succeed.
About facilitator Darren McGarvie:
- Darren is a co-founder of the Firestation, the Bay of Plenty’s only Business Growth Centre offering a range of business coaching, programmes and marketing services to ignite business success and growth.
- Darren has had a long and successful career helping businesses develop by working in various corporate roles, primarily in the financial services sector. These roles allowed him to work with a broad range of business people from farmers to entrepreneurs to large corporate entities and local government.
- He has also started businesses in IT, construction and entertainment industries, allowing him to understand from a personal perspective the challenges of entrepreneurship and sustaining successful businesses.
- Darren’s passion for entrepreneurship, business education and successful business leadership, motivated him to help establish ‘Rotorua X’. This has become a leading networking forum in Rotorua.
- Darren has received many awards for his professional abilities, including 2012 Chamber of Commerce Emerging Business Person of the Year and the 2013 Institute of Directors Aspiring Director Award.